| Photo by Tim Evanson via Wikimedia Commons
NEW YORK – Applications for the 2022 Don H. Liu Scholars Program (“DHL Program”) are now open, the Asian American Bar Association of New York (“AABANY”) has announced. The DHL Program, founded in 2014 by two past presidents of AABANY, seeks to identify and cultivate future Asian American leaders in the legal community to address the single most important reality facing Asian American professionals today: the barrier to advancement.
According to AABANY, the Selection Committee of the program will select three scholars this year. Each scholar will be awarded $15,000 and have access to prominent mentors, including Don H. Liu, Executive Vice President and Chief Legal and Risk Officer of Target Corporation. The DHL Program will also assist in on-campus interview bidding strategy, professional and soft skills development, and networking opportunities, including identifying potential internships.
To be eligible, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of Asian descent;
- Be enrolled full-time as a 1L in a J.D. program at an ABA-accredited and approved law school in the U.S.;
- Demonstrate exceptional academic accomplishments and leadership;
- Demonstrate financial need; and
- Intend to practice in the private sector in the New York City metropolitan area following graduation.
To apply to the Program, applicants must submit a completed Scholarship Application and all supporting documents as detailed in the instructions set forth below.
Deadline: The deadline to submit the Scholarship Application is 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time), November 15, 2021.
Information about Process and Dates
- All Scholarship Applications are due 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time), November 15, 2021.
- All Scholarship Applications are considered the property of Don H. Liu Scholars Program, Inc., and any materials submitted in support thereof will not be returned.
- All applicants who advance as finalists will be notified to submit additional materials and informed of dates for a phone interview by approximately mid-late December 2021.
- The 2022 Don H. Liu Scholars will be notified by approximately mid-January 2022.
- The 2022 Don H. Liu Scholars are expected to attend the AABANY Annual Dinner, which is expected to be held the third week of February in 2022.
- No other notice will be provided to applicants unless deemed required by the Selection Committee.
Details and more information about the DHL Program can be found at this link.
For more information, please get in touch with Judy Mok and Jeff Ikejiri, DHL Program Co-Vice President of Strategic Development and Marketing, at email@example.com.