Change in school calendar in RP proposed

by Kobakila News

MANILA (July 22) — In a move that may be following the US, Education Secretary Jesli Lapus said his office is reconsidering the option of moving the opening of classes from June to September.

Lapus made the statement after an association of private schools urged the Department of Education to study such plan in light of the many inconveniences caused by the rainy season, which starts in June.

The education secretary said that although the idea has been previously rejected in national surveys of parents and teachers, the proposal should be revisited “and have other field options and to conduct new survey.”

Eleazardo Kasilag, president of the Federation of Associations of Private Schools and Administrators (FAPSA), supports the plan to move the opening of classes from June to September.

He said the proposal will avoid disturbance of classes, noting the suspension sometimes reached 25 to 39 days out of more than 200 school days. This year, he said, several typhoons have slammed the country in April and May — considered summer days when weather condition is usually at its best.

After Monday’s school year opening last month, Wednesday and Thursday classes were suspended due to bad weather. Last school year was worse as the Department of Education cancelled classes right on the day schools opened due to a a typhoon, Kasilag said.

Kasilag suggested to Secretary Lapus to run a pilot test in the National Capital Region (NCR) and said FAPSA would assist Department of Education in the information drive once the program was implemented.

In the past, various sectoral groups have voiced support for such a proposal saying the school calendar had to be changed due to weather problems.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

X