524 W 59th St
New York 10019
As the first nonfiction illustrated children’s book about the forgotten United Farm Workers (UFW) co-founder Larry Itliong, the book gives a glimpse of Filipin@/x American history and the solidarity between Filipino and Latino farm workers.
This family-friendly event will feature:
– A tribute to Dr. Dawn Mabalon
– Keynote speech from Dr. Kevin Nadal
– Q&A and book signing with co-author and publisher Gayle Romasanta
– Remarks from FANHS Metro NY President Isabella Villacampa
– Performances by Filipin@/x artists and students
Contributing food/drinks for community potluck is encouraged. Filipino snacks will be served.
“As one of the largest immigrant groups in the country, we want our history to be recognized and our stories to be told. We’re happy to honor the legacies of both Larry Itliong and Dr. Dawn Mabalon here on the East Coast with the NYC community.” -Dr. Kevin Nadal, FANHS National Trustee, and Professor of Psychology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice