CHICAGO (JGL) Marilou Danley, 62, a Philippine-born Australian, arrived at the Los Angeles International Airport on Tuesday, Oct.3, from the Philippines.
Danley is the girlfriend of Stephen Craig Paddock, who opened fire at thousands of concert goers, killing 59 people and injuring 527 others in what is considered as the largest mass murder in U.S. history. She is expected to shed some light on Paddock’s possible motive by telling investigators of what she knew and observed from her boyfriend in the days prior to the mass shooting.
Upon arrival, she was immediately met by agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Although Danley was previously cleared as reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD), said at a press conference Tuesday that “Danley remains a person of interest.” He was communicating with the Philippine government through the FBI in connection with Danley’s arrival.
Philippine Bureau of Immigration officials told ABS-CBN that Danley had flown from Manila on Sept. 22 to Hongkong for a four-day trip and returned to Manila from Hongkong on Sept. 25 via Cebu Pacific flight 5J115. She used her Australian passport.
On Tuesday (Oct. 3) ABC News reported Danley is enroute to the U.S. “within 24 hours” but did not specify from which country she is coming from.
Her public profile describes her as “Gambling & Casinos Professional” and has resided in Reno, Nevada during the last 20 years, which could also make her either a U.S. immigrant or U.S. citizen.
Public records show also that she was born, Dec. 12, 1954. The LVMPD did not comment on reports that Paddock wired her $100,000 to the Philippines before the carnage.
LVMPD Asst. Sheriff Todd Fasulo clarified that there were 23 firearms instead of 17 as earlier reported by Lombardo, found inside Paddock’s room at the Mandalay Bay Resort Hotel and Casino. Guns found at his home in Mesquite, Nev. remain the same at 19. The number of victims who died stands at 59 and 527 injured.
Fasulo also said Paddock “is solely responsible for this heinous act. Only one shooter that we have vetted and that is true,” to dispel reports that Paddock got help from other people.
Lombardo lauded the police for “saving hundreds of lives” if Paddock was not stopped much earlier. Paddock was found dead in his hotel room presumably after committing suicide.
He said numerous electronic devices, five handguns, two shotguns were recovered from Paddock’s home in Reno, Nevada.
“We have the best partnership with the FBI, which help us in evidence procurement, and the fire department’s robust operations for the safety of the public and instant management mood,” he said.
Meanwhile, according to Fasulo, Bellagio Resort and Casino and Southwest Airlines have offered hotel and flight accommodations at “no cost” to relatives of victims in the carnage. He also directed to those inquiring about the victims to call a new hotline number 1-800-536-9488.
About $8,343,080 has been raised in the victims fund that was established through “GoFundMe”. The goal is $10 million. Blood donations are not being taken for now due to an overwhelming response. Sealed food and bottled water are still welcome by the American National Red Cross. Donors may bring bottled waters, canned goods at Catholic Charities at 1501 Las Vegas North or at Three Squares at 4190 Pecos Road, both in Las Vegas.
It was also announced that there was a private donor who gave away $500,000 while another donor also gave $100,000. MGM Grand’s 50,000 employees donated $3-M.